Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What is in the name?

I was browsing through the net today and came across the news of Maniratnam's much awaited Ravan...apparently the bilingual movie, is titled Ashokavanam in Tamil. Nevertheless, till date there has been no confirmation on the Tamil title as another movie have been registered with the same name too...

A few months back, (or has it been years...I can't remember) a similiar problem occur with two other films with similar titles whereby the directors and producers of the films were fighting down their throats to get the particular title for their movie.

What's in the name, if I may ask? Would Ashokavanam have gained lesser popularity if it was named otherwise? A Maniratnam film is always a Maniratnam's film, no matter what it's name is. I would have watched Ashokavanam or Ravanan or whatever it's name would be with the same amount of enthusiasm.

But then, probably Maniratnam thought that Ashokavanam has a more poetic feel rather than Ravan/Ravana/Ravanan, as it would be. After all, this is the same person who gave Yuva (literally means "youth") in Hindi and rebrand the same story with a momentous title in Tamil. The movie was named Ayithe Ezhuthu.

In fact, Maniratnam's fascination with Tamil titles can be traced to as far as his earlier days as Director. Almost all his films carry a significant title, and at times you are left to ponder the true meaning of them...long after the film is over.

One of his earlier films "Pagal Nilavu" has one such title. Literally it means "daylight moon". And please, give me a break...I don't know the true meaning of it til today. But then I can be excused for this is one film of Maniratnam's which I have yet to watch. In fact, my well-wishers have told me to keep away from this film, for the simple reason that I might even refute the fact that this is indeed a film directed by Maniratnam himself.

Then again, Mani was also amazing enough to give "Agni Natchathiram", a story of two step-brothers who hate each other's guts. The amount of "fire" glowing from both the heroes throughout the movie was amazing! Viewers might have remebered Vasanth making a similar story of the above in Neruke Ner, but sadly the latter did not manage to ignite the audience as Agni Natchathiram did.

And who can forget the mesmerising Mouna Ragam (Silent Symphony)? I was only 4 when this movie was released and back then I could remember nothing except that the movie had great BGM score and amazingly beautiful songs...and Mohan was the pimpled-face man, according to me.
But years later, when I got the oppurtunity to watch it again, I realized that Mani was one director who's able to think and do things years ahead of others. The title in fact has nothing to do with the story, and has everything to do with the story. And Ilayaraja's music, especially the BGM were nothing short of a masterpiece! The music played on the piano (during the Karthik-Revathy scenes) will take anyone's breath away...and that's Mouna Ragam to you.


Idhayathai Thirudathey is another one of my favourite. It means "Don't steal my heart". The movie was initially named Geethanjali in Telugu and was dubbed in Tamil. Mani could have maintained the same name in Tamil as it was the heroine's name in the movie but somehow I felt that Idhayathai Thirudathey suited just right for the movie and gave a more poetic touch to it. This movie again has fabulous songs (listening to "Oh Priya Priya" still gives me goosebumps today) and phenomenal BGM. The score during the title credits (the soothing alaap followed by the chorus with "I love you, I love you,") still lingers in my mind!

Idhayathai Thirudathey

Of course, Mani's film have their share of curt and brusque titles as well...Nayakan, Thalapathy, Anjali, Roja, Bombay, Guru...to name a few. But one thing is for sure, no matter of the length of the title, they do mean a lot to his films...so yeah, maybe there is something in the name:)

No comments:

Post a Comment