Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Muthu muthu mazhai


Remember Mr. Romeo? The film was released 14 years back but I got to admit that I wouldn’t have heard the songs more than 14 times til’ date. Yes, I’m finally confessing. I have nothing against the album, but the first time I saw the songs on screen, my only thought was…never to watch them again! To say that I was flabbergasted is an understatement, really! It was painstaking enough to watch Prabhu Deva and Madhoo doing the clown act in Thannerai Kadhalikkum, and what about Melisaiye? Well I can’t remember much about the song except that Shilpa Shetty has introduced some reeeaal weird ways of draping a saree! In short, the experience has left me rather devastated and I never really paid attention to the songs…until yesterday.
It was late evening and I was driving back home with the company of ARR’s music, as always. One of the songs played was from Mr. Romeo. I usually skipped all the songs from the film but I was just too lazy to do that yesterday and so the songs began playing for the first time in my car stereo player…and until today, I have been hearing to the same song non-stop!
The song was none other than Muthu muthu mazhai. Gosh, I never knew I’ll fall flat for this number. Folk numbers are not really my favorite. Kuchi Kuchi Rakkama is, needless to say, my least favorite number from Bombay. The same goes to Usilampati from Gentleman or Kulicha kutralam from Duet. But Muthu muthu is truly an eye-opener! Never knew a folk number can be composed this way. Hats off to ARR sir!
The song started off with some string instrument. (Please don’t ask me what is it. By now, you guys should have known my lack of knowledge when it comes to musical instruments.) And then, comes one of the most magnificent voice I’ve ever heard. Ila Arun- what a voice! She’s absolutely amazing! There is something so mystical and unique about her. She has practically done all that’s needed for the song- she was naughty, sexy, cheeky, giving the right amount of punch and was full of energy…and all this at the same time! I can hardly believe someone can shoulder the whole burden of the song so effortlessly but Ila’s performance was waaay beyond my expectations. Yeah, her diction is not perfect but she covers it up really well. Even the inaudible mumbling sounds good to my ears.
The chorus is another plus point for this song! Together with the right beats from the dholak (I hope I’m right about it being a dholak!) they practically elevated the energy level of the song.
In short, this is the kind of song you want to see performed in a show! Wonder why no one thought of dancing to this number in reality shows? That would have been a blast! No, wait a minute, I remember watching Prabhu Deva and Shilpa Shetty dancing for this number. It was so untastefully done that my mom forbade me from watching such “adulterated” songs again (I was under-age then, you see). But my point is, if people like Prabhu Deva and Shilpa Shetty can’t do justice to the song, then no one can. Okay, forget that I ever suggested anyone performing to this number.
Point to ponder: Have any of you ever listened to a song and imagined thousands of way in which the song would be choreographed…only to be disappointed with the end result once it’s screened??
Yeah, Rehna Tu would take the cake surely, but anything else?

No comments:

Post a Comment